Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Need a Page-Turner

Last night I once again hit, remove from this device. This was the third book on my Kindle that I had removed and sent to archive heaven without finishing in less than a week, and one of them had been on the New York Times Bestseller list.

I used to think I could find a nugget of good in most any books if I’d just stick it out to the end, I no longer believe that. As I’ve struggled with the art of putting my words to paper, I’ve begun to struggle more so with reading words that cannot hold my interest. I’m glad to see I’m not alone. One of my favorite bloggers Roni Loren has made Tough Love Rules for the coming year about not wasting time. Take a minute check out her rules for reading.

Can anyone tell me who decides which books worthy of the New York Times Bestseller List or the Amazon Top 100? As I read the reviews, I shake my head and wonder if the reviews are genuine because surely this must be a different book than the one on my Kindle.

Some of my favorite authors have gone the way of the formula. Now don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing wrong with formula books. Those authors, some of which I’ve read every single thing they’ve written, have thrilled readers for years, and if I’d had a formula that good I’d sure I’d use it. Nevertheless, I tire of reading them over and over.

Well enough with my complaining, now back to my dilemma, finding new books for my Kindle. As of now it has become a game of eenie-meanie, and then just point. I need a better system. I enjoy books that pull me in with words that roll off the tongue, sink in the mind, and thrill my soul. I don’t want one that is to teach me a lesson, or preach to me where I went wrong in life. Like most people, I’ve plenty of relatives.

The last book I enjoyed was Mama's Shoes but I haven’t read a book in a long time that had me reading long into the night for fear of turning out the light and missing something. Have you? I’d love to hear your recommendations, I need a good page-turner.

Related articles
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments and words of wisdom go here