Monday, November 26, 2012

Stranger-Danger?

Bookmobile and barn, near Lake Quinault
Bookmobile and barn, near Lake Quinault (Photo credit: brewbooks)
The door opened, as if the bus had been waiting. A TRAVELING LIBRARY. Mom never mentioned books in a bus. 

Inside sat Mrs. Claus or at least her jolly elf double. A red dress and a few elves would be all she’d need to complete the illusion. Instead, she wore jeans and a bright purple sweater. Light streamed through grimy windows and sunbeams danced on her hair turning what I knew to be grey into silver tinsel.

Her invitation set me at ease with a warm smile reaching to blue twinkling eyes. "Welcome to the M F Bookmobile." I smiled back at the familiar face of a stranger and stepped inside.

I hope you enjoy my contribution to Julia's 100 Word challenge for grownups this week. It is an excerpt from my novel in progress. I exceeded the 100 word limit by 11 words, my apologies.  If you would like to join in the fun the link is below. Thanks for taking the time to read my piece and leaving a comment. Jean


The prompt fits well with the weather and November. It is simply: …GREY… As usual you must restrict your writing to 100 words and make it suitable for PG certificate. If you are confused what this is all about do read ‘What is 100WCGU?


Related articles
Enhanced by Zemanta

14 comments:

  1. I remember the library bus from when I was a kid. Very nice use of the grey, really positive turn of a depressing word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. I too remember the bookmobile and loved listening for the honk of the bus horn.

      Delete
  2. Really enjoyed this take on the prompt - loved the grey turning into silver tinsel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, as soon as I saw the prompt I thought of this passage. Glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  3. The title juxtaposed with the story makes me wonder if something sinister is afoot. The story on it's own feels like part of a pleasant memory or a sweet children's story. I hope it's one of those. (That's probably the mom in me.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bit of all three, as with most stories from childhood. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. This is lovely Jean, very evocative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for a great compliment. I wish all my writing were so.

      Delete
  5. I've never lived in a place that had a library bus - as a child my parents walked the 6 mile round trip with me to our nearest library - but you make it sound like such a warm and cozy experience I feel as if I've missed out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What amazing parents! That is probably the reason you are such a great writer today. Yes my memories of the Bookmobile are warm and cozy. Started me on my love affair with books. Thanks so much.

      Delete
  6. Takes me back to my childhood. How the times have changed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That they have, I doubt few people even remember the Bookmobile. Writing this piece dated me a bit I've no doubt. LOL Glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  7. Hmmm - I agree with other readers, the title sounds sinister! And I notice you didn't say there really were any books inside the bus with its grimy windows. I don't think this is going to end well, is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, glad you picked up on that. As I mentioned this is a tiny excerpt, can't give the ending away just yet. LOL

      Delete

All comments and words of wisdom go here