Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Don't lie to Mama

Rain
Rain (Photo credit: Moyan_Brenn_BE_BACK_on_10th_OCT)
I checked the weather last night, I think I did, I do most nights, but when I pulled out of the underground parking garage and headed for home, I didn’t remember any forecast of rain. For some reason I’d expected to see the sun, instead, the heavens opened and the drive home turned into pure hell. Traffic was a bitch, and I’m convinced no one in Dallas knows how to drive in a monsoon.

I gripped the wheel so hard I chipped a nail each time it thundered, and I hated trying to see between the swipes of grimy windshield wipers. Then it happened, when I changed lanes to make my exit. I signaled, I swear I did, but he came out of nowhere.

A damn road hog sideswiped my car and kept right going as if nothing happened. I pulled to a stop and sat there, backing up traffic and fuming. After listening to the storm, and a few dozen blaring car horns, my nerves were shot to hell, so I decided to go after the jerk. I figured why not, I’d seen car chases on television.

With my crumpled bumper, I took off in hot pursuit. Too bad flying sparks, and a loud, grating noise, brought my hot pursuit to a cold, short halt. I must’ve missed something about those TV chase scenes. The rain continued to pour down in buckets, soaking me to the skin before I’d made it to the rear of my car where I also found a flat tire.

I didn’t think this day could get worse, but I was wrong. I squished back into my car, and proceeded to search for my Iphone. Shit, I must’ve left it on my desk after lying about working late tonight. Mom’s warm kitchen and tough, pot roast didn’t sound so bad in hind sight. Damn, Karma’s a bitch.

I prayed for a tow truck, but with my luck, any truck out cruising would have some deranged killer behind the wheel. No way in hell, would he be tall, dark and handsome, ready to sweep me off my feet like in the romance novel by my bed. Fuck, at this point I didn’t much care. I stopped banging my sopping wet mop of a head on the steering wheel at the sound of tapping on my window and raised my mascara smeared face.

“Need a tow Lady?”

This is a piece for:

Red Writing Hood Prompt – Rain

This week, use rain as the inspiration for your fiction or creative non-fiction piece. The word limit is 400


I often listen to smooth jazz on rainy days and am drawn to melancholy moods. But for this piece I wanted to do something a little quirky. I hope you enjoy my take on Rain. - Jean
Related articles
Enhanced by Zemanta

16 comments:

  1. Well I hope he is not a serial killer. Always listen to Mama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time she'll opt for the meat loaf. LOL Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. I hope he was tall, dark and handsome, and not a serial killer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a chance, that would be too easy. LOL

      Delete
  3. I am choosing to read this as a happy ending because this lady needs it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I love about Flashfiction, the ending is always up to the reader. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Oh! I'm interested to see who the mystery tower turns out to be. I liked the way you set up the tension for the chase scene/confrontation and then threw in the flat tire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I had a lot of fun writing this one.

      Delete
  5. Oo, very good. I liked the way reality got in the way of the imminent car chase. I really don't like driving in the rain either. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, life is stranger..., well you know. LOL

      Delete
  6. No one in California knows how to drive in rain either. I love the whole scene, almost like a chapter from my own existence. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was actually funny--"what the hell, I've seen a car chase on TV." Hilarious! Not so funny in reality, but darned good storytelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathleen, thanks I had fun writing it. Haven't we all been there and wanted to do something outrageous? But reality always steps in. LOL

      Delete

All comments and words of wisdom go here