Friday, June 8, 2012

RedWritingHood:The Beat Goes On


Red Writing Hood Link-Up: To the Moon


And The Beat Goes On
 I walked down the hall. Fits of giggles started up again followed by the sound of running feet.

“Shh, you kids have to stay in bed it’s late and I’m tired.” I hid behind my hand to hide my smile. I tried a stern look as I gazed between the two rooms. Ten eyes peeked out above covers glowing in the dim light.

A voice begged. “One more story. Please.”

“No, you’ve each had a story. Five stories are a lot. Now go to sleep.”

I tried to slip away; then heard a tiny voice. “Do you love us?”

“To the moon and back.” I pushed the door open, and then motioned to the others. One more story wouldn’t hurt.

I kissed their sleeping heads goodnight. The late night news played softly in the family room and my husband chuckled when he saw me.

“Those grandkids have you wrapped around their little finger.”

“Right like they don’t have you just as wrapped.” I snuggled up against him. “It’s hard to believe our kids have kids.”

“Now don’t you start…”

“Seems like only yesterday I read to our girls and now… Where has the time gone?”

“Don’t know Hun, but it’s sure as hell been fun. Still is.”

“Well, we better get to bed because more fun will start about seven in the morning when those grandkids of ours wake up.”

I stood, reached for his hand, and pulled him to his feet.

“For an old woman you sure are bossy.”

“Hey be careful, old man, who you call an old woman!”

I watched as he went through his nightly ritual; checking doors, turning out lights, and the one added tonight, look in at the sleeping kids.

Snuggled under the covers as we kissed good night, I heard him whisper, “I love you to the moon and back.”


 Related articles
Enhanced by Zemanta

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you. I wanted to do something else but couldn't get away from this.

      Delete
  2. This line keeps reappearing in different contexts, I love how such simple words tell such a big story of love and commitment. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm learning sometimes simple really does work. :-)

      Delete
  3. Hee, I used the "to the moon" phrase from the context of that book, too. I love how you used it here, great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzanne with all the book worms in my family, well couldn't get the idea out of my head.

      Delete
  4. This is definitely clinching it. I will need to get that book for my son after he's born this summer. It's shown up too many times in such beautiful contexts as this for me not to. Well done. I love the emotion in this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't now why, but that last line made me tear up. Maybe it's the obvious love between them (you and your husband?), maybe it's the echo of her earlier words. Whatever it was, it worked.

    I loved the dialogue, the extra story, and, honestly, the whole thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I wasn't sure how this one would be received. The story so simple, a bit mushy, even for me. Glad you enjoyed how exhausting 5 grand kids are at one time. LOL

      Delete

All comments and words of wisdom go here