Monday, April 23, 2012

FWF Flash Fiction My Favorite Thing

#FWF FREE WRITE FRIDAY; PHOTO PROMPT

My Flash Fiction FWF contribution
My Favorite Thing

How weird, I stopped staring at the signpost in my way. I wondered who left such screwy signs in the middle of this field. I walked around reading some of the names they made no sense. Family, friends, love, studies, music, I’d never heard of any streets or towns around here with names like those. Maybe a game I thought but who would play a game here on this path? The wind picked up spinning the signs arrows. I backed away watching the names blur as they spun around the pole. When they stopped, all pointed home. I turned and ran down the path only to find another signpost up ahead. This time I didn’t stop to read the words, I eased around the signpost and hurried down the pathway.

My eyes fluttered then opened; I switched on the lamp, to quiet the fluttering of my heart. Only a dream, it’d been a dream, as I repeated the mantra over in my head. I lay back smoothing the blankets with my wrinkled, spotted hands, and my thoughts went to the young girl in my dream wondering what my life would’ve been had she chose a different path. As I reached for a drink of water on the nightstand, I picked up my favorite thing reflecting a set of five lovely eyes smiling at me. Whatever path that young girl could’ve chose differently, I’m glad the one she took led to them. Would’ve, could’ve, should’ve doesn’t matter, when I’ve riches beyond measure. I set the photo of my grandchildren down and clicked the lamp off with a smile. There will be no more bad dreams tonight. 



11 comments:

  1. this is beautiful! It reminded me of The Wizard of Oz in a way...which is one of my all time fave movies! I adore your story and I am so happy you joined in FWF and wrote for me! YAY! Thanks so much and I look forward to having you back again! xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kellie, the Oz cool. This was a tough one. The idea came from a conversation with my daughter. Just goes to show, never know where an idea will come from. Love your website.

      Delete
  2. Really good job, and great that it came from a chat with your daughter x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this line, "I switched on the lamp, to quiet the fluttering of my heart." a sense of illumination to clear matters and your closing is wonderful, no regrets knowing your choices led you to where you need/want to be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Glad to hear from my biggest fan as always! Thanks

      Delete
  5. This is wonderful--good writing! Love the twist at the end, that she is older. Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for reading mine and providing me your link. I meant to get to the list on Kelli's blog today, but I didn't even manage a word on my blog or reading at all until tonight! THank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is wonderful--good writing! Love the twist at the end, that she is older. Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for reading mine and providing me your link. I meant to get to the list on Kelli's blog today, but I didn't even manage a word on my blog or reading at all until tonight! THank you again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arnel I can't thank you enough for your kind words thank you for taking the time to read my blog.

      Delete

All comments and words of wisdom go here